Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Matching Baby Onesie & Hair Clip

I know, I know. Where have I been? Well, the week before last my husband worked a ton so my girls & I took a little road trip to my parent's house to stay & play for the week. Then last week I was sewing some baby gifts. But, I have done a few simple projects this week that I can share with you.
The first one is a matching baby onesie & hair clip. I had been wanting to try some simple appliques on baby onesies for a while & finally got around to it last week. I think it's such a cute way to make customized & unique baby clothes for your little one! I have a ton of this pink & brown animal print flannel left so I decided to use that.
*By the way, a new favorite place to get plain white onesies perfect for crafting? Michael's or JoAnn's! With the 40 or 50% off coupons you can get a package of these for super cheap! There are 5 in the package so it comes out to be a little over $1 for each onesie! Awesome!
Ok, so I washed everything first. Then I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter that I had to trace the shape onto the animal print flannel. Then I just cut it out with my fabric scissors. Next I used a little temporary adhesive fabric spray to hold the heart into place on the front of the onesie. Then to adhere the heart to the onesie more permanently I used a blanket stitch. I had never done this stitch before, so just don't look closely at my handiwork! ;) But I found a really easy tutorial about how to do a blanket stitch here on Stitch School {great site!}. Then I used the technique found in this post to make the cute matching hair clip. To make it the perfect size for my baby girl I used the large scallop circle from the Circles, Scallop #2 die. A little set like this would make a great new baby gift too! I will definitely be making some more of these in the future!

Look how cute she is:
If only she would leave the hair clip in her hair!

No comments: