Monday, March 28, 2011

My Very First Quilt

My hubby's grandma always makes everyone in the family large (60" x 80"), soft flannel blankets. They are awesome! In our house we each use our blankets just about every day. Well, she's always saying how she should make herself a blanket, but she never has. So I thought that it would be the perfect gift for her birthday this year {89 years young!}. Now my plan was to make the blanket how she does with the same flannel on each side, not quilted. I'll spare you all of the details, but I ended up having to make it quilt-style. It took a lot of time since I wasn't planning on doing a quilt so I had to look things up frequently to make sure I was doing it right & I only really worked on it when my youngest was napping & a couple of nights when my hubby was at work & both girls were asleep. But, now that it's finished & has been given to Gramma Mugs I have to say that I really enjoyed the process & although it's not perfect, I am happy with how it turned out.

Here it is all finished (it's folded in half & then hung over the fence since it's so large):
The back is just the pink polka dot fabric:
I really love the bright, cheery colors & I really wish you could feel it-so soft! I hope that she gets as much use out of her flannel blanket as we do out of ours!
Happy Birthday, Gramma Mugs!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

That turned out great, and what a great gift, I know she loved it :)