Monday, August 30, 2010

A Bigger {Better} Buttercup Bag

Here's the other Buttercup Bag that I made last week. I like this one so much better than the first one I made! I love the bigger size, plus I lined this one so it feels a lot stronger. I pretty much just followed Rae's instructions here for making a bigger Buttercup Bag. I increased the size of the pattern to 130%. I also made the strap 2 inches longer. Then I lined the bottom portion of the bag with a lightweight interfacing & I lined the top (polka dot) portion of the bag & the strap with a heavyweight interfacing. It made such a big difference! The bag feels very sturdy now. I also made 2 slightly larger pockets on the inside too just because pockets are always wonderful! I love this fabric too! It feels very fall-like to me & I love the punch of orange! I knew that I wanted to make a purse from this fabric when I bought it (I found it at M&L Fabrics in Anaheim, CA).

Of course, I added a yo-yo flower to the front for embellishment. I am lovin' these yo-yo flowers! And I just sew mine right onto the purse, but if you were making one as a gift you could just pin it on so the recipient could remove the flower if they don't like it.
Here's a close-up:
Here's a close-up of the inside of the bag. Notice that I bought some more fusible interfacing so that I didn't have to sew it on this time. Yay! No yucky stitching around the snap in this purse! It really looks a lot nicer. And I am so glad I put a double pocket in! Very handy!
Here's a photo of both of the Buttercup Bags just so you can see the size difference.
Now...what kind of Buttercup Bag to make next...?

No comments: