Friday, August 27, 2010

Monogrammed Trick-or-Treat Bags


Here's an early Halloween project for ya! My crafty to-do list is so long right now so I'm trying to get things done early instead of scrambling at the last minute. I decided that this year I wanted to make my girls some trick-or-treat tote bags to cart their Halloween candy around in. Did you ever just use a pillowcase when you were younger for your candy? I did & I can remember trying to fill that thing up! That's basically where this idea came from. I wanted something like a smaller pillowcase-style bag that my girls could carry. I added the handles, making this a really simple, basic tote bag!

When I had this project in mind I was picturing a different fabric completely. But you know how that goes! Then you go to the fabric store & can't find exactly what you had pictured & settle on something else. And, as in this case, your project still usually turns out just as cute as you thought it would! I actually really do like this fabric & Kaylee loves it because there's some pink & purple on it. Perfect!

I just made the tote bags exactly the same for each of my girls & then added their monogram on it so they can keep track of which one is theirs. It was easy to do to! I used my Big Shot to cut the scallop circle out of black felt & then sewed it onto the front panel for the tote bag. Then I used my computer to create a really large "K." I printed it out, cut it out & then traced it onto the orange polka dot fabric. I then cut that out, used spray adhesive to attach it to the center of the black felt scallop circle & then used bright pink embroidery thread & hand-stitched it on. I did all of this before assembling & sewing together the bag.

Of course I made one for Aidynn too!

I decided to line it with the orange polka dot fabric for some extra strength, plus it just looks so darn cute!

And here is Kaylee modeling her new trick-or-treat tote bag so you can get an idea of the size. I wanted it to be a little big for right now so that they can grow into it & use it for many years of Halloween fun to come!

She's just so cute!
*Edited 8/28/10: To those who are wondering I got this cute Halloween fabric at JoAnn's!

Also, Tasha over at Creation Corner has started a Link Party Friday. People can link up whatever projects they've been working on lately. What a fun idea! I decided to link this monogrammed trick-or-treat bag up, so go over to Creation Corner & check it out & see what everyone else has been creating lately too!

4 comments:

Tasha said...

That is just darling. I love it. I love that you are already getting ahead to Halloween too. When I saw it I thought..."I really need to start thinking ahead too" Darling. Love monogramed things too. Your daughter looks pretty excited as well. Thank you, thank you for linking it up!

Unknown said...

So cute!! I love the monogram. You are so on top of things to already have your Halloween bag ready. I made mine the day before Halloween last year! Great job!

chris said...

Great job! I'm sure those bags will make Halloween night even more fun. Think how much loot you can stash in there!

Kyla Armstrong said...

I love the fabric! Where did you get? These are darling!

mormishmom {at} gmail {dot} com