Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recipe Box

Did you know that Stampin' Up! has a recipe box kit? It's called Recipes By Design. The kit comes with a laminated recipe box that converts into a recipe card stand, dividers, recipe cards & self-adhesive die-cut pieces to embellish your recipe cards with. I was so excited when I first saw this because it is so cute! Well, when I got my kit I was a little disappointed with the recipe box. The front actually wraps all the way around when it's closed so when you open it you have this extremely long piece sticking out. It is intended to wrap around the back to create a recipe card stand, but this is huge & awkward as well. So it got me thinking about how I could alter the box so that it's more conducive to my needs.
I ended up cutting off the long, awkward wrap-around part of the lid. So now my box is covered on all 4 sides, but the lid covers only the top & front of the box, it doesn't wrap all the way around to the back. To ensure that the edge where I cut the lid wouldn't fray I just used a little bit of tacky glue to seal it. Then I covered it up by adding a piece of Certainly Celery card stock with a scalloped edge. Next I tied a piece of Basic Gray taffeta ribbon around it too just because it looked so cute! I am much happier with this recipe box now!
Here it is:
And it can still stand up & be used as a recipe card stand too!
Just to show you one of the recipe cards:
I love these colors together!
Another added bonus-there is a digital download version of this kit that can be downloaded to My Digital Studio. Now I can print out as many recipe cards as I need once I run out of the cards that came in the kit.
I believe that this kit is only available until the end of June or until they run out, so if you want one for yourself you better act fast!

No comments: