Friday, December 30, 2011

Nursing Cover

Today I am officially 37 weeks pregnant, which means this little baby is considered full-term! Yay! Now she can come anytime as far as I'm concerned! Of course, now that I've been feeling better & we've hit our goal of keeping her in until 37 weeks, she'll probably be stubborn & arrive late. We shall see! In the meantime I have been trying to keep myself busy instead of just waiting around for a baby to come. Well, besides being busy with my two older girls. So I have been making meals for the freezer like mad & I have been slowly working on some more baby projects. My project yesterday was this nursing cover. I had never attempted to make one before. I looked at a bunch of different tutorials before & terms like "boning" & "D-rings" were intimidating me a little. But, yesterday I just decided to go for it. And it was so easy! This project probably took me about 2 hours from start to finish.

The neck strap is adjustable. Hence the need for D-rings. Which, by the way, are not scary at all, but very simple to use. And the boning goes into the top hem so that the nursing cover curves out so you can see the little one while nursing. Again, using the boning was really easy to use.


Then I added a couple of terry cloth pockets to the inside bottom of each corner. These pockets are a great place to store a breast pad & the terry cloth is so handy if you need to wipe up any little dribbles. And of course this is great because you can just throw it in the washer anytime you need to.
A closer look, it's just a square of terry cloth, folded in half into a triangle & then sewn in place when you sew the hem down.
What a great baby shower gift this makes too! It's inexpensive, easy to make & super handy to have!

If you want to make one yourself I recommend checking out the following tutorials, I sort of used a combination of the 2 to make this one:
Nursing Cover Tutorial at Diary of a Quilter
Nursing Cover Tutorial at Our Seven Dwarfs

No comments: